Zilch magic is rune-based. A spellcaster learns a handful of master runes, as well as a great number of minor marks and sigils. Runes are represented by 26 Scrabble tiles; minor marks are not represented in game terms. One to three runes can then be combined to form a spell, with various minor marks used to shape the specific spell effect. This runic spell is then cast by charging it with mana, which is represented as a Diamond chip cost.
You can learn a max number of runes equal to your Diamonds. A low Diamonds score may mean you will be unable to cast some of the greater runes. Some of the greater runes also have prerequisite lesser runes that must be learned first. Rune knowledge can be innate (inherent to the caster herself), inspired (received through prayer, meditation, contemplation of an arcane focus), or inscribed (recorded in spellbooks or prayer books).
Casting: To cast a spell, the caster uses the cast combat action. A caster must have at least one empty hand (unless channeling the spell through a held magically-conductive item, such as a staff, wand, or holy symbol) and must be able to move and speak. If currently bound, Helpless, or otherwise unable to meet these requirements, the caster may cast the spell mentally: make a Diamonds test. (CS: cast the spell as a std action; S: cast the spell as a full action (or abort without a chip cost); F: spend chips but the spell fails harmlessly; CF: spend chips but suffer a magical mishap).
Casting a spell costs a number of Diamond chips equal to the cost of each rune in the spell. A rune's cost is equal to the letter's Scrabble point value; see below. More complex spells can be cast by combining runes in combination spells and Rituals. Certain spells may allow you to spend additional chips for a greater effect.
Duration: A spell effect has one of the following durations:
- Instantaneous - the spell produces its effect in a moment.
- Encounter - the spell effect lasts until the end of the current encounter. If already in combat or a significant encounter, this means through the remainder of that encounter. Otherwise, this usually means up to and through the next encounter. The GM may decree that the current encounter or scene ends after a long journey, a particularly tricky trap, a complex negotiation, etc.
- Concentration - you must take the cast action each turn to maintain this spell or else it ends. This costs no chips. You may only maintain the spell in this way for up to Encounter duration.
For spells with duration, identical spells do not stack. Instead, only the strongest effect applies.
Range of Effect: A spell has one of the following ranges
- Target - A single target--creature or object--of the caster's choosing. This can always be the caster herself. If the spell says "Touch", the caster must physically touch the target. For a "Ray", the caster must successfully hit with a ranged attack. If the target is unwilling, this requires an attack, though you may substitute your Diamonds for Clubs suit Willpower for Combat suit if you prefer. If you hit, the target is affected by your spell, though for some spells the target may also get a save.
- Selected - A single target the caster can see. The caster may be the target. You automatically hit the target; no attack is required.
- Area - A contiguous rectangle of squares whose dimensions add up to your Diamonds Suit (or less, at your option). For example, with a 7♦ score, you could produce a max area of 7x1, 5x2, or 4x3 squares. If in the Area, the caster is also affected by the spell. An Area cannot be moved once in place.
- Centered Area - As Area, but the area must be centered on the caster. At her option, the caster may or may not be included in the spell's effect. As with Area, a Centered Area effect does not move once cast.
- Aura: As Centered Area, but the area of effect then moves with the caster.
Saves: Some spells offer the target a save when they are exposed to the spell's effect. Saves can be based on any of the four Suits:
- Clubs: spells that provide barrier or physical restraints that can be burst
- Spades: spells that produce an effect that can be dodged or avoided by those with quick reflexes.
- Diamonds: spells that beguile, mislead, enchant, or confuse
- Hearts: spells that rend the body or soul, or rely on fear, weak will, or the unconscious.
Saves vs spells are very hard (-5 modifier).
Most saves are made as a free action when the spell is cast. However, some spells are resisted. This means that, if the victim fails the initial save, she may still make another save as a standard action during each of her turns to end the spell. A few spells can be resisted as a free action; often this occurs when you interact with the ongoing effects of a spell.
For some spells, a successful save only reduces (rather than eliminates) the spell's effect.
Some spells do not allow a save, but instead require a Suit test of the victim to determine the effect.
A spell's victim may always choose to forgo a save or Suit test (though it would take a successful Diamonds (Spellcraft) check to ID the runes of the spell before choosing to save). Doing so is treated as a failure of the save or test.
Items and objects do not get a save unless held by a creature, in which case the creature saves for the item. Enchanting an item requires you touch the item and so automatcially fails if it is held by an unwilling target.
Some spells require a ritual to cast. These spells take a full encounter of their own to prepare and cast--usually 10 to 60 minutes. They may also require certain costly components, special conditions, additional casters, etc. Like resting, they have a chance of being interrupted in a Dungeon, which means any casting costs are expended but no benefit is gained.
Runes and Spells
The following abbreviations are used in spell descriptions:
- f, e, a, c, p, n - These subscripts designate that this rune comes in different versions based on its energy type: fire, electrictity, acid, cold, positive, or negative.
- Inst - Instantaneous.
- Enc - Encounter.
- Conc - Concentration.
- Ray - Ray. Cast as if a ranged attack.
- Tch - Touch. Can be cast in melee range only.
- Sel - Selected.
- Area - An Area whose W+H dimensions are <= the caster's Diamonds.
- CA - Centered Area.
- Aura - A Centered Area that moves with the caster.
- ♠ - A reminder that this spell requires a successful attack to affect its target. Against a willing target, the attack is automatically successful.
- S - Save, based on the given suit. If the save is succcess, the spell has no effect.
- S½ - Save, based on the given suit. If the save is successful, the spell has only a partial effect, as explained in the spell's description.
- T - Test. Once subjected to a spell, the target may choose to spend a standard action to test the given suit in order to end the spell. Like saves, these tests are usually binary: success or failure only.
- T* - Test with CS and CF results. Details will be provided in the spell description.
- * - Special rules for this aspect. See the spell description for an explanation.
- E - Energy
Ef = Fire
Ee = Electricty (Air)
Ec = Cold (Water)
Ea = Acid (Earth)
Cost: 1, Freq: 12.
Channel the raw forces of the cosmos in a flashy but relatively weak display.
There is a separate rune for each of the four elemental energies: Fire, Cold, Acid, or Electricity. Fire opposes Cold and Acid opposes Electricity. The same target may not be subject to non-instantaneous effects of opposing energies; attempting to do so will dispel the existing effect. Non-opposing energies can stack, however. For example, see the EI spell: a victim could suffer both a Cold and an Acid Shroud at the same time--thus taking 2 dmg each turn. However, attempting to add a Fire Shroud would simply dispel the Cold Shroud. Being subject to any instantaneous energy spell would have no effect on the Shrouds though. When used in rune combinations, an E rune usually provides only a source of elemental enery, doing at most 1 dmg.
- E - Ray of Energy -
Deal 3 dmg of an specific elemental type to target.
- EI - Searing Shroud -
Deals 1 point of energy dmg to target each turn. Once affected, treat this as Burning.
EI - 3 dmg plus +1 dmg per extra pip spent.
EM - controlled shot which its unerringly (Select target).
[Blast ability falls in the middle of E and EM: save for 1/2 dmg]
ExYEy - Welds two opposing energies together, which cancel out and deal 3 force dmg.
- A - Abjuration
- Cost: 1, Freq: 9.
Provides protection, primarily in the form of shielding form physical harm and resistance to the elements, particularly the 4 elemental energies. To a lesser extent, offers security, warning, protection from the intent to harm, and, in combinations, limited and specific protection from raw magic.
- A - Alarm - (Enc/CA/-):
If any creature (or those of a certain type you choose) enters the warded Area, you are mentally alerted, even if asleep or in another room.
- A - Armor - (Enc/Tch/-):
Make a shield or single set of armor magical (+1 to DR).
- A - Resist Weather - (Enc/Tch/♠):
Target and her gear is comfortable and immune to any ill-effects of natural weather, including being wet (from precipitation, but not full submersion), cold (including hypothermia), heat (including heatstroke or increased thirst), etc.
- A - Waterproof - (Enc|Inst/Tch/♠):
Touched item or gear of touched creature is immune to damage from submersion in water or similar liquid, though does not prevent actual damage (such as from acid or lava). This is particularly helpful for books, papers, etc. Alternately, can instantly dry any a person or item, though this does not undo any damage--such as warping, wrinkling, running ink, etc--from being wet. (Similar spells can be cast for other elements, such as Fireproof: make an item immune to catching fire or immediately put out a burning fire; or Dirtproof to keep an item free from grime or stains.
- A - Protection from Energy - (Enc/Tch/♠):
When cast, select an elemental energy. Target can ignore the first 3 dmg of that energy type from each attack.
- A# - Protection from Rune - (Enc*/Tch/♠):
If subjected to a spell or effect containing the given # rune, that spell fails to affect you and dispels this protection. For spells with ongoing, indirect effect (such as a wall of fire), you are protected until the end of your next turn. (Y may be substituted for any specific rune.)
- AIA - Immune to Energy - (Enc/Tch/♠):
When cast, select an elemental energy. Target is immune to dmg of that energy type.
- AS - Asylum - (Enc*/Tch/♠,S♥):
Creatures targeting or directly attacking the warded target must resist or be unable to complete their hostile action. Successfully resisting allows only that single attack and does not end the spell.
If the warded creature targets another with a hostile action (even as an area attack), the spell ends.
- I - Imbue
- Cost: 1, Freq: 9.
Enchant or increase the power of a object, especially for the purposes of causing injury. Used in combinations to bind magic to an inanimate item or object or, occasionally, to amplify or stabilize a purely magical effect.
- I - Enchant Armor - (Enc/Tch/-):
Make a shield or single set of armor magical (+1 to DR).
- I - Enchant Weapon (Enc/Tch/-):
Make a single physical weapon magical, which means it deals +1 physical dmg. The weapon may be an unarmed or natural attack, such as fist, limb, or bite.
- IE - Searing Weapon - (Enc/Tch/-):
Weapon deals 1 point of the specific energy dmg to its target with each successful attack.
- IEA - Cloak of Energy - (Enc/Tch/♠,-):
The target is wreathed in energy, which deals 1 energy dmg to each melee attacker. It also reduces any energy attacks of the opposite energy by 1 dmg.
- IUt - Turning Weapon - (Enc/Tch/-,S♦):
Each time an undead creature is struck with the weapon, it must save or be Shaken for the rest of the encounter.
- O - Obstacles
- Cost: 1, Freq: 8.
Conjures vaporous thin substances sufficient for minor tricks or to inconvenience others in battle. Most of these spells can affect an Area or a target from a distance. (For true creation of matter, see P.)
- O - Glue - (Enc/Sel|Area/S♣):
Target cannot drop a specific item, nor be disarmed of it unless the attacker beats both the target and then the save. Or, target's hands and feet become sticky enough to climb sheer vertical walls provided at least 2 limbs are in contact with the wall at all times (so, for humanoids, a free hand is needed to move). Or, all creatures standing or moving through the given Area are Impeded and must resist or become Anchored.
- O - Grease - (Enc/Sel|Area/S♠):
Target must resist to maintain a grip on a specific held item. Or, target standing creature must resist each turn to avoid falling prone. Or, all creatures standing or moving through the given Area must resist or fall prone.
- O - Mist - (Enc/Sel|Area/-):
Target is shrouded in a small personal cloud of mist that moves with her: treat her as Occluded, and all her targets are Occluded to her as she peers out through the mist. Or, fill the whole Area with mist: any adjacent combatants in the mist or those on the edge of the Area are Occluded (as are their targets to them); looking through more than a full square of the thick mist grants Invisibility.
- O - Web - (Enc/Sel|Area/S♣,T♣):
The target is wrapped in sticky strands that Entangle him. Or, fill an Area with sticky strands, provided the strands can be anchor to something solid on opposite sides; those in or passing through the Area must resist or become Entangled and Anchored.
- OEf - Smoke and Flame - (Inst/Area/-):
Fills an Area with a burst of smoke, cinders, and ash, dealing 1 fire dmg to all in area and and Occluding all for the remainder of your turn. (Other versions possible for other energy types. +O to have the effect last the Encounter, dealing 1 dmg each round.)
- N - Nature
- Cost: 1, Freq: 6.
Animal = non-Humanoid Beast
N - Talk to Plant/Animal (though animal may not want to talk to you.)
NS or ND - Commune with Plant/Animal - Read its thoughts
N - Entangle -
N - Nature Sense - In a natural setting, know direction, coming weather, danger sense (physical danger to you: something coming, something ahead. Savage beast, quicksand, trap). Works in caverns but not worked dungeons.
NDN - Commune - Tap into the web of life around you out to a Far distance. As N, plus know what living and undead are within Far distances in a natural enviroment and their general state (healthy, hurt, sick, fearful, etc.)
- R - veRve
- Cost: 1, Freq: 6.
Increases natural abilities in living creatures by manipulating the interface between body and mind. The effects are subtle, seeming to affect the target's talent, force of will, or luck. The rune is used in combinations to manipulate or enchant living creatures with magic that normally affects only objects. For more drastic physical changes, see W. Does not allow for negative modifiers; for that, use drain effects, such as from ???
- R - Boon - (Enc/Tch/♠):
+1 to one of target's Suits (caster's choice). May cast up to 4 times on a target, choosing a different Suit each time.
- RWR - Major Boon - (Enc/Tch/♠):
+2 to one of target's Suits (caster's choice). May cast up to 4 times on a target, choosing a different Suit each time.
- R - Boost - (Enc*/Sel/S♦):
Target may add +5 to any single action of her choice, such as an attack, defense, save, test, contest, etc. This ends the spell.
- R - Fumble - (Enc*/Sel/S♦):
Target suffers -5 to a single action of the caster's choice, such as an attack, defense save, test, contest, etc. This ends the spell. Caster may specify the triggering conditions at the time of casting. Otherwise, the caster may active the penalty as a free action at any time, provided the caster can still see the target and the action.
- T - Transmissions
- Cost: 1, Freq: 6.
Affects levels of sensory information, particularly light. That is, can raise and lower light levels or sound or scents, affecting the world rather than the sensor. To change or shape what is seen or sensed, see G.
- T - Light - (Enc/Tch|Aura|Area/-):
The touched item glows as a light source. Alternately, can create a bobbing globe or other shape of light that hovers near the caster or can be directed by the caster to any location within an Aura. Finally, can be cast as an Area effect to dispel the effects of T(Shadow).
- T - Shadow - (Enc/Area|Aura|Tch/-):
Reduce the light level of an Area by one step, such as from Bright to Lowlight or Lowlight to Darkness; this also affects any light sources brought into the area. Alternately, can be cast as an Aura. Finally, can be cast on a light source to dispel T(Light) or negate any mundane light source.
- T - Magnify - (Enc/-/-):
By peering/listening/sniffing through the circle formed by thumb and forefinger, the caster can magnify or amplify a particular sensation, allowing him to see Far objects as if Close, tiny objects as if large, etc.
- T - Muffle - (Enc/Area|Aura/-):
Sounds are muffled in the given Area or Aura, meaning a creature can only be heard intentionally (such as by stomping or yelling); all attempts to move stealthily and unheard are successful in such an area. Alternately, may mute smells, making accurately tracking by smell impossible.
- TGT or TLT - Daylight/Darkness - (Enc/Area|Aura/-):
Fill an Area or create an Aura that is either Bright or Darkness, overwhelming any mundane light sources or weaker T-based spells. Partially overlapping areas of Daylight and Darkness cancel each other out, allowing the underlying light levels through; completely overlapping areas dispel each other. (If cast as TLT, TLpT can only produce Daylight and
TLnT can only produce Darkness. TEfT can also produce Daylight.)
- TGT - Silence - (Enc/Area|Aura/-):
Nothing can be heard in the given area. No sound emits from the area, and creatures within the area can hear nothing either within or from without the area. Lacking the ability to speak clearly, spellcasters within the area can only cast spells mentally.
- TN - Augmented Sense - (Enc/Tch/S♠):
Target gains caster's choice of normal vision, lowlight vision, darkvision, blindsense, or scent. (See Senses.) +T for any kind of Blindsight.
- L - Lifeforce
Lp = Positive life energy
Ln = Negative life energy
Cost: 1, Freq: 4.
Two runes: Positive or Negative. uses positive energy to harm Undead creatures and heal living creatures, restoring 1 HP for each point of "dmg". Ln uses negative energy to heal Undead creatures and damage living creatures.
- Lp - Touch of Life -
Touch to heal 3 dmg to living or deal 3 dmg to undead.
- Ln - Touch of Death -
Touch to deal 3 dmg to living or heal 3 dmg to undead.
- S - Subconsious
- Cost: 1, Freq: 4.
Affects only transient mental processes, such as physical desires (hunger, thirsty, sleepiness, pain), mood, and emotions. At best (such as when used with D), this rune can access moment-to-moment surface thoughts or sensations (which are often fuzzy).
Group (know direction and distance and status of up to pip creatures; can communicate in whisper to them and they to you, but not to each other)
- S - Bravery - (Inst|Enc*/Sel/S♥):
The target becomes resistant to Fear (or similar emotion effects). If currently suffering any Fearful condition, the condition is instantaneously removed. Otherwise, the spell provides ongoing Encounter protection: the victim is immune to any Fearful condition, though preventing a Terrified condition cancels/ends the protection.
- S - Drowse - (Enc/Sel/S♥):
Target is Slowed by a crushing sense of weariness. If there is no obvious danger or other strong motivation to stay awake, the victim will likely choose to take a nap as soon as is convenient. (If there is some question at to whether the victim would choose to sleep, allow her a second S♥ to overcome the temptation.)
- S - Fear - (Enc/Sel/S½♥):
The target is Terrified. Even on a successful save, the target is Shaken. (Similar effects can be produced by inflicting other strong emotions such as pain, confusion, bliss, etc.)
- S - Mesmerize - (Enc*/Sel/S*♥):
The target is effectively held Unconscious in a trance. However, any threatening activity near the victim automatically breaks the trance; any suspicious activity gives the victim a chance to save again. While mesmerized, the victim will be unable to lie or avoid thinking about a suggested topic and may be able to recall small details not available to his conscious mind.
- S - Pacify - (Enc/Sel/S♥):
Target will now attack only to defend itself or its allies or to prevent the theft or destruction of those things it holds dear. Or, if the target is currently subject to Rage (or similar) effect, simply dispels the rage, allowing the creature to act normally again.
- S - Rage - (Enc/Sel/S♥,S♥*):
Target must take the most offensive stance possible (usually Reckless) and will attack her foes without hesitation, preferring to close and use melee attacks whenever possible. The target does not fall unconscious at 0 HP, but continues to fight normally. The victim gets to a chance to save again each time he takes damage (but only then).
Charm: Allows access to and crude manipulation of a target's ideas, beliefs, opinions, and personality (alignment). This rune allows the caster to subtly place a single idea or belief in the target's head. This may be difficult to impossible if this new idea conflicts with existing, fundamental beliefs held by the target. The nature of the planted idea may be limited by whether the caster is arcane or divine. When accessing (such as with D), allows you to access language comprehension and a general sense of the victim's personality as a whole. (To actually mentally control a target, manipulate her memories, or seek out a particular belief or memory, see Va.)
Cx2 = Charm (makes creature your friend, open to your suggestions; until your harm or betray it; actions by your allies or suggestion give it a chance to save; call a swarm to do your bidding)
- U - Undead
- Cost: 1, Freq: 4.
Two runes: Turn or Rebuke. But control the behavior of undead creatures, but in different ways. Ut uses either positive energy to drive away or harm undead. Ur uses negative energy to awe and control undead. You must always present your holy symbol in one hand to cast a U spell. +Cp to also affect Evil creatures in the same way; +Cn to also affect Good creatures.
- U - Repel Undead - (Inst,Enc/CA/S½♦):
Undead creatures in the area are Terrified. Even on a successful save, affected undead are still Shaken.
- U - Turn Undead - (Conc/Sel/S½♦):
The single selected undead creature is Terrified. In addition, as long as you continue to Concentrate and present your holy symbol, it is also Anchored. On a successful save, the creature is only Shaken and not anchored, although it may still not approach you or directly harm or attack you for as long as you Concentrate.
- Un - Rebuke Undead - (Enc|Conc/Sel/S½♦):
The single selected undead creature is charmed: it will consider you as a dear friend and follow most requests accordingly. On a successful save, the creature is not charmed but it is Shaken and may not directly harm or attack you for as long as you Concentrate and present your symbol.
- UpLp - Smite Undead - (Inst/Sel/S♦):
The selected undead creature takes 3 dmg (as per L).
- D - Divination
- Cost: 2, Freq: 4.
Most basic is detection: (seek certain specific class of items: magic, substances (like gold, food, water, poison, etc), creature types, traps, secret doors, etc.; thru thin barriers, like wooden doors, chests, containers, wall-hangings, etc.
DJ = Scry
DQ = Scry across planar barriers
rD - ID runes involved, but not charges or activator; read magic (CS on Spellcraft can do the same)
rDI - Identify (though glammer will decieve)
rDYD or DGaD - True Identify
- G - Glammer
- Cost: 2, Freq: 3. Pre: T.
make an object appear as something else of the same type; produce a figment;
G: Invisibility (standing still)
GT?: Invisiblity (but spell ends if subject makes an attack)
GTG?: Invisibilty (any actions)
GI - Magical aura to remove aura or make an item seem magical
mask from scrying
- B - Barrier
- Cost: 3, Freq: 2. Pre: A.
Walls, wards. Invisible force by default, but must only instantaneous or by concentration
Wx2 = Wall (invoke wall of fire (3 dmg), stone (push aside targets), ice (2 dmg and holds targets inside; can test Clubs to break free), wind (with wind horizontal or vertical), etc. 2 squares wide, Diamond long. Can be line or circle around self.)
Hold back a given Type/Subtype. Resisted to approach?
Force Globe -conc- You are immune to any physical or energy attack. Generally any Spades-based save succeeds, but works against some select spells that deal damage. +1 Chip to include one more Adjacent Square).
- B - Seal Portal - (Enc/Tch/-,T♣):
You can seal a vessel, doorway, portal, or other opening of Area size or less with an invisible field that a creature must burst to pass through.
- C - Consecrate/Desecrate
- Cost: 3, Freq: 2. Pre: U.
(instant: undead with Clubs less than Diamonds flee/are charmed by you; ritual on altar or single body: bodies in range do not become undead nor decompose, undead may not enter area; bodies in range become mindless undead [of lvl?]).
- C - Bless/Curse Weapon - (Enc/Tch/-):
Target weapon counts as either Holy (for Life caster) or Unholy (for Death caster). This may have a special effect verses certain monsters, particularly bypassing DR of those of the Good and Evil subtype. Water can also be enchanted this way. If the water is then successfully thrown on a creature (as an normal attack), all subsequent physical attacks gain the quality of the water (either Holy or Unholy).
remove all taint
heal 3 drain from one suit
deal 3? tainted dmg
cause 3? drain to one suit
- M - Move
- Cost: 3, Freq: 2.
Mx2 = Move
levitate, fly, floating; directing attack; feather fall; water walk; freedom of movement
- P - Produce
- Cost: 3, Freq: 2. Pre: O.
Produce: light temporary object (including armor or weapon); summon creature/mount
- O - Prestidigitation - (Enc/Tch/-):
Create all manner of small flimsy objects--coins, cards, flowers, butterflies, puffs of smoke--that last for the duration of the spell (or less). You can create autonomously moving objects, but must Concentrate to move them. While the objects are quasi-real, those skilled in Spellcraft can spot that they are magical constructs, and even the unlearned will become suspicious if they handle them.
- F - Foresight
- Cost: 4, Freq: 2. Pre: D
Move to detect?
Prophesy (or Legend Lore). Dream-like images. Always tells you some some useful clue, but may be obscure or require interpretation or further investigation. will rarely give you clear answers to what you seek. Repeated castings on the same topic often give the same vision, though the vision may change slightly over time. (In short: GM's call, but use to give player's hints.)
- H - Hurl
- Cost: 4, Freq: 2. Pre: M.
Damage force/telekinetic attacks.
- V - Volition
- Cost: 4, Freq: 2.
Resisted 1/2: paralyzed; otherwise, dominated.
- V - Animate - (Enc/Sel/S♥*):
The target inanimate object moves as you direct. The object gets no save unless held or attended by a creature, in which case the creature saves for it. The object can only move in ways its structure or material would normally allow. Thus, corpses, curtains, carpets, rope, and full suits of armor are good candiates for animation; large trees and statues are not because their parts cannot normally be moved. (However, such objects can be made moveable by +H.) You must then Concentrate to direct the object to perform a simple, unskilled task. This task may be repetative (such as attack a given target), in which case the object will continue to perform it without direction until directed to stop. Use your ♦ for all of the animated object's Suits.
- Va? - Dominate - (//):
- Va?UV - Possess - (//):
- - - (//):
- - - (//):
- VTa - Vaporous Servant - (Enc/Sel/-):
You produce an animated servant of translucent (treat as Occluded) misty vapor. The servant is too weak to move heavy objects or deal more than 1 dmg with a weapon.
- Wa - Were
- Cost: 4, Freq: 2. Pre: R or N.
polymorph; size change; natural weapon, climbing skill, wings, water-breathing, etc.;
Changing size: I like the idea of little fairies having little fireballs and ogre mages and dragons having big blasts. However, need to balance shapeshifting ability. Thus, just W does not change Mass: still weigh the same and take dmg as if your normal size? Need +P to change that too?? Deal with this in H rune--looks like I'm already on the right track there.
- Y - Dispel
- Cost: 4, Freq: 2. Pre: I or A
- K - Mass ("Kilo")
- Cost: 5, Freq: 1
Kx1 = Mass (a spherical burst up to Diamonds diameter for a given spell, to be paid separately. May choose center. If self, may choose whether or not to be included in effect.)
(Can use Blank if splitting Scrabble set between more than 1 caster.)
- J - Jaunt
- Cost: 8, Freq: 1
- X - Select
- Cost: 8, Freq: 1
(as K, but may choose which targets are affected, up to Diamonds)
- Q - Quest
- Cost: 10, Freq: 1
- Z - Zenith
- Cost: 10, Freq: 1. Pre: B.
Arcane: As B, but deal Diamonds dmg.
Life: Touch to raise dead.
Death: Touch to deal Diamonds dmg.
The above list is only a sample list. Additional spells and rune combinations can be proposed by casters when trying to achieve a particular spell effect. Keep the following in mind when adjudicating this:
- Similar effects can sometimes be achieved by different rune combinations. For example, ...
- Try to price spell costs in terms of other existing spell effects.
- There are basically two levels of power for each rune: using a single rune (possibly in conjunction with another different rune) or using two of that rune. Double rune spells always require a third different rune to bind them together.
Enchanted (Magical) weapons deal an extra +1 dmg. Up to two compatible Energy effects may also deal +1 dmg each. (See E for more.) Enchanted weapons may also have various special effects.
The DR of a Shield stacks with that granted by Armor. An enchanted (Magical) armor or shield grants +1 DR. Enchanted armor and shields may also have various special effects.
- Believed to fragments of the firmament and fundament, adamantine is a nearly-black metal found as nuggets deep in the earth or in meteorites. It can only be melted by extreme heat, such as that formed by an elder fire elemental, a great dragon, or ancient runic forges on powerful fire leylines. Once heated, it can only be shaped with adamantine tools or magic. Adamantine itself cannot be broken or sundered and is immune to rust, corrosion, or normal elemental damage. It can be used to sunder weapons or shields as a special attack. While it can be the subject of spells, it cannot hold a permanent enchantment. Overcomes armor DR... -2/adamantium?
- Formed by lightning strikes in swamps containing will-o-wisps. Long crystals, pale green with blue-yellow highlights within. Can be shaped into blades, though Heavy need to be reinfored with silver so they don't snap when swung. Very brittle and will shatter if struck against any hard surface. However, act as a magic weapon against Incorporeal targets, and can affect Ethereal targets. If enchanted, full damage to Incorporeal or Ethereal targets.
- Affects creatures corrupted form their true/pure form, such as lycanthropes, devils, and vampires.
Alchemial process. Immune to rust.
- Cold Iron
- Immune to magic. Cannot be enchanted or manipulated or affected by magic. Effect on shifting, chaotic creatures. Loses this effect if coated in silver. As manacles, can prevent a caster from using magic.
- Witch Lead
- Lead poured over a gold and silver weave. Magic cannot pass through it. Thin, moldable. Can be used to line a small room or container making it impervious to magic.